1. IMMIGRANT FAMILY FUND: Nearly two years ago SBC participated with many other faith communities in a successful fund raiser for CIELO. The proceeds were to be used for passports for citizen children of undocumented immigrants and other immigrant support needs. CIELO is a local nonprofit focused on immigrant services, education and support. Now CIELO has submitted an intent to expand the uses of the Immigrant Family Funds. They wanted earlier donors to be aware of the areas of expansion. As such, IFW members are to relay this information, which CIELO firmly believes is in keeping with the original spirit of the fund, back to our faith communities. The Immigrant Family Fund uses will now also be expanded to cover items below:
USCIS filing fees necessary for urgent, humanitarian, or family reunification purposes. These fees would include, but are not limited to, application fees associated with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, Temporary Protected Status, and U/T Visas. (Citizenship filing fees also will be included if the fee waiver is dropped as expected.)
The case for expanding the use of the fund is based on learning of situations where at individual at risk requires help to pay a filing fee for a document that would give them legal status and make a huge difference in their life, safety, and security (e.g. DACA status, U/T visa, green card renewal).
2. Since there will be no IFW council meetings again until 9/17/19, here are some upcoming dates of interest!
· The Detention Lottery. An immersive theater experience. Content as shared from immigration attorneys. July 27. Food noon. Staged Reading 1:00. Peace Lutheran Church. 2106 S Cushman Ave. Tacoma. Free. Donations in support of AIDNW encouraged.
· Interfaith Festival and Vigil for Peace – 9/21/19. 1:30 -4:30 . Faith communities are encouraged to think about some activity while attending. Location TBD
· All Soul’s Service – 10/27/19 Mills & Mills in Tumwater. This is coordinated with the coroner’s office and is a time to honor those who died in our community in 2019 who were nameless.
· Interfaith Thanksgiving – 11/24/19. 2:00 United Methodist Church. Gretchen and Nancy attended last yr and can share ideas about SBC participation.