St. Benedict friends, planning has been underway to have SBC participate as part of the Interfaith Works communityfor wesmaller congregations to host a potluck/fundraiser for CIELO on August 20. The event would meet dual purposes of building faith community networksas well as supporta fundraiser for vulnerable families.
Earlier you may have heard the word “picnic” but we shifted to a potluck INDOORS. Roasted chicken will be provided. You bring a side dish or a dessert. Indoors is more conducive to mingling where we can meetparishionersfrom other congregations, AND avoid yellow jackets and weather vagaries. In addition, it would be easier for CIELO to make a presentation about what they do and what they have witnessed with Latino families fearful of a new deportation focus. What is NEWis that categories of work visas and ability to stay in the USAare now at risk of deportation, where they had not been prior.
Co-hosted by Interfaith Works, St. Benedict Episcopal Church, Holy Wisdom Inclusive Catholic Community, and Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd, thus far. Location: 1601 North St SE., Olympia.
(Across from Olympia HS.) Put the date on your calendars. Flyer to come.
Kathy Baros Friedt, Social Justice Ministry Lead. firstname.lastname@example.org
Camp Michael has just completed its 45th year. Thank you to all who volunteered their time and spirit.
Race in Film Series: “I Am Not Your Negro”
July 20 @ 6:30 PM - 9:00 PM
“I Am Not Your Negro” is the 2016 documentary directed by Raoul Peck, based on James Baldwin’s unfinished manuscript Remember This House which was to be a revolutionary, personal account of the lives and assassinations of three of his close friends: Medgar Evers, Malcolm X and Martin Luther King, Jr. At the time of Baldwin’s death in 1987, he left behind only 30 completed pages of this manuscript.
The Race in Film Series chronicles the full sweep of African American history, from the origins of slavery on the African continent right up to today—when America has a black president, yet remains a nation deeply divided by race. Films will include “Birth of a Nation,” Straight Outta Compton,” “13” “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner,” and others.
3rd Thursday of every month
6:30 pm – 9:00 pmLocation: Olympia UnitarianUniversalistCongregation Sanctuary
2315 Division St. NE; Olympia, WA 98502
Movie screening followed by discussion, free, and open to all.
Refreshments will be served.
The Black Alliance of Thurston County
Olympia Unitarian Universalist Congregation
The United Churches of Olympia
The search committee has received a list of names from the diocese. They have completed SKYPE interviews with all 3 candidates.
We are currently updating our records. We would like EVERYONE to fill out a membership form. For more information see the ABOUT US tab at the top of the page.
Get involved! The business of the church is fascinating. We will celebrate our Episcopal Diocese of Western Washington October 27-28 at the Hilton Vancouver, Washington. We are looking for a man and a woman as alternate delegates. Training provided. See a Bishop's Committee member if you're interested.
St Benedict Episcopal Church honors all those members who volunteer their time to make our community strong
· Monthly provide community dinner – mostly Oxford House attendees but open to homeless,. 3-4 church members are involved in this
· 4 SBC members volunteer as overnight hosts at the Sacred Heart (next door) men’s shelter. Several shifts Nov-March.
· Two members are SBC delegates to InterFaith Works and report back to the congregation
· One member reports regularly on his participation in Jail Ministry. Congregation participates in cookie and sock campaigns during the yr
· SBC does have an Earth Ministry
· Several members chair Easter Baskets for homeless children and the congregation is generous in providing dozens of baskets
· Participated in the Pride Parade in the past.
· Individual members participated in the Women’s March this yr
· One member is lead on gathering of hundreds of calendars for SeaFarers ministry
· One member is lead on gathering of volunteers to participate as part of a veterans event in the summer.
· Individual church members belong to or participate in various nonprofit organizations as individuals, not representing SBC.
· One member isactive in promoting communication, safety and peace in the Gaza Strip
· Current Vicar involved in ministry in the Philippines