Bishop's Committee Minutes, August 13, 2019

August 13, 2019

Bishop’s Committee Meeting

St. Benedict Episcopal Church

Present: Paul Seabert, Vicar’s Warden; Gretchen O’Connor, People’s Warden; BC Members Mary-Michael Garlichs, Bob Knudson, Ralph Provencal, and Jeff Zahir; Fr. Ed Lovelady, Vicar; Fran Frodsham, Co-Treasurer; Mitch Gordon, Buildings and Grounds supervisor; Spencer Daniels, Clerk to the BC. BC Members absent: Gen Gordon, Doretha Mowrey, Mary Raines. The meeting was opened in prayer at 6:35 p.m.

Minutes: M/S/P to approve the minutes of the July 11, 2019, BC meeting as written.

Treasurer’s Report: We are still doing well financially. M/S/P to approve the treasurer’s report.

Vicar’s Report: Two new couples have begun attending the 8:00 a.m. service, one of whom is interested in newcomer classes. St. B is sponsoring an arts and crafts fair on November 23 and 24, inviting our fellow Episcopal congregations, Holy Wisdom, Sacred Heart, and St. Andrews to participate. It is not a church fund-raiser and no commercial vendors will be allowed. Lunch will be provided. Fr. Ed would like to have BC members do the announcements at the start of services. Ralph suggested BC members wear their badges on Sunday. Mitch recommended putting a list of the ministries and their contacts in the bulletin. Fr. Ed will do this periodically. The parish organizational meeting was attended by at least 57 members (who signed the sign-in sheet). When the clerk prepares the minutes, Fr. Ed will forward these to the diocese. Then the only remaining thing is to get the articles of incorporation back from the State.

Building and Grounds: Mitch introduced himself as the new building and grounds supervisor and reviewed the items on his report. One part on the handicap door openers was mis-ordered and will have to be re-ordered. The opener will open both the outer and inner doors. Also, we will lessen the tension on the doors in the restrooms. Lots of stuff in the storage unit, etc. needs to be sorted through and cleaned out. Ralph suggested tearing down the old chair racks in the storage unit and placing the food bank food and materials there. The yard sprinkler system had been shut down a couple years ago—should a new one be installed? Gutter repair will be around $400; Fr. Ed said to go ahead. Mitch will make sure he is registered as our contact with the fire alarm company. Ralph indicated two new roof leaks. Mitch will talk to Don LaFord about this. The ladies’ restroom has one handicap toilet. We will install another one if any of the other toilets ever needs replacing.

Financial Policies: The BC discussed the proposed financial policies. M/S to amend item 1 from “prior” year to “current” year—motion failed. M/S to make item 1 a goal only—motion failed. M/S/P to approve the financial policies as written. Fr. Ed will forward materials about the Snyder fund to the finance committee. Ralph indicated he tried to contact members of the Snyder family a while back without success.

Thermostats: New thermostats will be $2,986. We should get a $200 rebate on each, for $800. They will have an override feature and should reduce costs in the long run. M/S/P to purchase the new thermostats.

Charter bus to convention: Bob is still working on arranging this.

Becoming a H-P free church: The BC discussed becoming a H-P (Hewlett-Packard) free church. After considerable discussion, the BC took no action. It will review the website to become better informed and will talk to the community and revisit the issue next month.

Lector/Eucharistic Ministers Coordinator: Mark Caldwell will be leaving this position. Fr. Ed will find a replacement.

Good of the Order/Events: September 21—U.N. Day of Peace at Sylvester Park with Interfaith Works Vigil at 3:00 p.m. September 1—Tri-Parish Picnic. Fr. Ed will be the preacher. St. John’s is providing the meat, grills, and bulletins. The Bishop is still on sabbatical. Jeff noted a recent outbreak of hepatitis. We should be diligent in using gloves in preparing and serving food.

The meeting was adjourned in prayer at 8:20 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Spencer W. Daniels, Clerk

Parish Organizational Meeting Minutes, August 11, 2019

Parish Organizational Meeting

August 11, 2019

St. Benedict’s Episcopal Church

The meeting was opened in prayer at 9:20 a.m., with Fr. Ed Lovelady, Vicar, presiding. Approximately 57 congregants were present. (Vicar has sign-in sheets.) Spencer Daniels was appointed clerk for the meeting.

Fr. Ed reviewed the steps taken so far toward becoming a parish, discussed the further steps to be taken, and entertained questions about the significance of becoming a parish.

Action Items: The congregation took the following actions in support of and in preparation for becoming a parish. All actions were by unanimous voice vote.

Re-affirmed Fr. Eldwin Lovelady to become Rector if parish status is approved. The following additional clergy were noted: Rev. John Van Eenwyk, Associate Priest; Rev. Kathy Prehm (ret.), Rev. Robert Williams (ret.), Deacon Tony Irving (ret.), and Deacon Becky Scott (ret.)

Reaffirmed the election of the existing Bishop’s Committee members (Paul Seabert, Gretchen O’ Connor, Mary-Michael Garlichs, Gen Gordon, Bob Knudson, Doretha Mowrey, Ralph Provencal, Mary Raines, and Jeff Zahir) to become the Vestry if parish status is granted, and the appointment of Spencer Daniels as clerk.

Reaffirmed the appointment of the current co-treasurers (Fran Frodsham and Don LaFord).

Reaffirm the elected convention delegates (Marth Liska, Gretchen O’Connor, Fran Frodsham, and Larry Frodsham) and alternates (Brenda Sloan and Nancy Zabel).

Affirmed the church’s commitment to the duties and responsibilities of Canon 8 of the Episcopal Diocese of Olympia.

Approved the by-laws.

It was noted that the Articles of Incorporation as St. Benedict’s Episcopal Church have been filed with the Secretary of State and are awaiting approval by the State.

The meeting was adjourned in prayer at 9:40 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Spencer W. Daniels, Clerk

Bishop's Committee Minutes, June 11, 2019

June 11, 2019

Bishop’s Committee Meeting

St. Benedict Episcopal Church

Present:  Paul Seabert, Vicar’s Warden; Gretchen O’Connor, People’s Warden; BC members Gen Gordon, Bob Knudson, Doretha Mowrey, Mary Raines, and Ralph Provencal; Fr. Ed Lovelady, Vicar; Fran Frodsham, Co-Treasurer; and Spencer Daniels, Clerk to the BC.  BC members absent: Mary-Michael Garlichs and Jeff Zahir.  The meeting was opened in prayer at 6:30 p.m.

Minutes:  M/S/P to approve the minutes of the May 14, 2019, BC meeting as written.

Treasurer’s Report:  We are still doing very well.  There is about $73,380 in the bank account.  The balance sheets for some accounts had errors, which Fran is correcting and will make available for the August meeting.  We should have no more diocesan assessments for the year and should get some money back.  The money ($1,100) has been sent to Harbor Roots and we are awaiting information about when the produce will start being delivered.  Lights were left on again.  The BC discussed how to avoid unnecessary expenses for lights, heat, etc.  M/S/P to approve the treasurer’s report.

Vicar’s Report:  Fr. Ed continues to be in communication with the diocese regarding our becoming a parish.  The Christian day camp is proceeding, with Jan Akin looking for a musician.  Discussed having a play area for kids at some point.  This needs lots of planning, consultation about insurance, etc.  We have updated our licenses for church music to include the songs we actually use.  Bulletin images come from Google (i.e., are in the public domain).  Supply clergy for Fr. Ed’s vacation have been arranged, with BC members giving the welcome and announcements.  The customaries have been sent to the supply clergy and are also in the Sacristy.  The bulletin board by the columbarium is looking shoddy and will be removed.  The BC will not meet in July but will circulate the usual reports.

Building and Grounds:  The ADA door opener should be here in a week and then it takes a week or so to install.  Fr. Ed would also like to loosen the tension on the restroom doors.  We are waiting scheduling of the fire alarm and sprinkler inspections.  With respect to a new thermostat, we are looking to determine what is compatible with the heat pump and also what would qualify for a rebate from PSE.  We will be receiving a quote for the device and installation.  Gen is organizing a group to do weeding of the grounds, which is not included in our yard maintenance contract.

 Money Market Account:  The money market account has been closed.  M/S/P to put $10,000 in the New Beginnings DIF and the rest in the General Fund DIF.

Financial Policies:  The proposed financial policies are being reviewed by the Finance Committee and will be presented later.

Reports/Good of the Order:  Paul—Social Justice Committee:  community summit on June 17.  The committee will sponsor the fees if anyone wants to attend.  Lacey will have a “council on the road” on June 20 at the Salish Middle School to discuss homelessness.  Mary—the toilets in the ladies’ room are standard height, except the middle one is lower (for children).  Fr. Ed—the wardens have authority when Fr. Ed is gone.  Next meeting will be August 13.  The meeting was adjourned in prayer at 7:31 p.m.

 Respectfully submitted, Spencer W. Daniels, Clerk.

Bishop's Committee Minutes, May 14, 2019

May 14, 2019

Bishop’s Committee Meeting

St. Benedict Episcopal Church

Present: Gretchen O’Connor, People’s Warden; BC Members Mary-Michael Garlichs, Gen Gordon, Bob Knudson, Doretha Mowrey, Mary Raines, and Jeff Zahir; Fr. Ed Lovelady, Vicar; Fran Frodsham and Don LaFord, Co-Treasurers; Spencer Daniels, Clerk to the BC.  BC Members absent: Paul Seabert (ill) and Ralph Provencal (traveling).  The meeting was opened in prayer at 6:40 p.m.

Minutes: M/S/P to approve the minutes of the April 9, 2019, meeting.

Treasurer’s Report:   Fran reviewed the various diocesan funds.  She will provide a description of each of the funds.  We are doing well on income and are $25,064 to the good.  We have a new renter—a sewing guild that will meet once a month.  M/S/P to approve the treasurer’s report.  The PSE bill went up because of raised rates.

Vicar’s Report:  We will schedule a parish organization meeting between services sometime in August or September.  Fr. Ed has not heard of any concerns about our application for parish status, although Jeff indicated he had heard there were some while at a diocesan meeting.  Fr. Ed will check on this.

Building and Grounds:  The parts have been ordered for the ADA door opener.  Parts are being ordered for sprinkler and fire alarm maintenance.

Finance Committee Recommendations:  The BC considered several recommendations from the finance committee and acted as follows: M/S/P to leave $60,000 in the checking account and to transfer the remaining funds to the General Fund DIF (diocesan investment fund) (Recommendation 1); M/S/P to transfer funds in the checking account over $60,000 at the end of each quarter to the General Fund DIF (Recommendation 2); M/S/P that the treasurer notify the diocesan treasurer that interest from DIF investments are to be reinvested and not paid out.  (Recommendation 5).  Recommendation 3, to take $15,000 from the low interest Money Market fund and transfer it to the General Fund DIF and to have  the treasurer determine why the Money Market account was opened and to have the finance committee reconsider closing the account, was tabled pending information about closing the account totally.  Committee recommendation 4 became moot.

Chaplains on the Harbor:  Fran presented a proposal to buy shares in the Harbor Roots CSA (community supported agriculture) being set up by Chaplains on the Harbor in Aberdeen.  M/S/P to accept the proposal and buy two shares ($1,000 total).  The produce will be delivered monthly the week of the St . B community dinner and be used for the dinner and the food bank.

Good of the Order/Reports:  Doretha—will be providing ice cream and brownies to celebrate the anniversary of Tony’s becoming a deacon; Mary-Michael—the pastoral care team is presently seeing one person, the altar guild is doing fine but needs a meeting soon and may be adding a member; Gretchen—thanks to those who assisted on Sunday when Fr. Ed was unavailable.  Fr. Ed is preparing a customary for the future; Bob—wife Karen is recovering from appendicitis and has planted dahlias for future altar guild use; Gen—doctors are still diagnosing husband Mitch.  The nursery room needs a thorough cleaning; Fr. Ed—the plans for vacation bible school (camp) are going well.  Adult volunteers (and kids of course) are needed.  Andrew Sloan is leaving Saturday for New York City.

The meeting was adjourned in prayer at 8:24 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Spencer W. Daniels, Clerk to the Bishop’s Committee 

 

Bishop's Committee Minutes, April 9, 2019

April 9, 2019

Bishop’s Committee Meeting

St. Benedict Episcopal Church

Present:  Paul Seabert, Vicar’s Warden; Gretchen O’Connor, People’s Warden; BC Members: Mary- Michael Garlichs, Gen Gordon, Bob Knudson, Doretha Mowrey, Ralph Provencal, and Mary Raines; Fr. Ed Lovelady, Vicar; Fran Frodsham and Don LaFord, Co-treasurers; Spencer Daniels, Clerk to the BC.  BC Member absent:  Jeff Zahir.  The meeting was opened in prayer at 6:30 p.m.

Minutes: M/S/P to approve the minutes of the March 12, 2019, BC meeting, with the correction that Ralph is not liaison to building and grounds.

Treasurer’s Report:  We are doing well.   We were $17,328 below budget to date.  Income is well above expenses.  We received a check back from the diocese for $7800 for overpaid assessments.  We may look to investing more money in the diocesan investment fund (DIF).  The Snyder fund, originally to pay off the mortgage, can now be used for building improvements, since the mortgage is paid off.  Fran will provide information on each of our designated funds.  Fr. Ed will work on streamlining the funds.  Bob noted that under federal tax changes, some members may be giving two years’ worth of offering in December of Year 1.  M/S/P to approve the treasurer’s report.

Vicar’s Report:  St. John’s is doing the Great Vigil of Easter this year.  St. Benedict is doing a Pentecost Picnic on June 9 after services.  A defibrillator will be installed in the narthex and we will arrange for training in its use.  Diocesan development grants are now available.  We will no longer be advertising in the JBLM base publications as this has not proven cost-effective.

Building and Grounds:  Paul received one bid of $8600 to install ADA compliant door openers.  He will see if he can get other competitive bids.  M/S/P to approve installing the openers based on the best bid received.  The building and sidewalks are being pressure washed.  The gutter that came down during the storm will be repaired.

Finance Committee:  M/S/P to approve the finance committee charter as amended.  M/S/P to approve resolution appointing finance committee members.

Columbarium Policy:  M/S/P to approve the columbarium policy, leaving it to the vicar to determine who qualifies as extended family.  Fr. Ed noted that there is information on how we do sacraments on the website and that we do not deviate much from the form of services in the prayer book.

Seminarian Financial Assistance:  M/S/P to approve $2000 from the general fund for Andrew Sloan’s summer program.

Reports:  Paul—still needs to find a building person.  Fr. Ed suggested a job description would be helpful.  Gretchen—has drafted operating instructions for making coffee and running the dishwasher (sanitizer).  Ralph—make sure any cinder blocks being used as door stops are moved aside after use to prevent tripping.  Mary—Saturday Sisters is in the process of defining its mission better.  The Busy Bees are working on the June Jumble at St. John’s.  They may consider a name change.  Mary-Michael—the pastoral care committee reached out to one person lately.  Mary-Michael attended the memorial service for Mike Flothe at The Firs.  A new person has been found to replace Mike in sending out cards.  The altar guild is doing fine.  Fr. Ed—health is still unstable.  Fr. John has been very helpful.

The meeting was adjourned in prayer at 7:55 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Spencer W. Daniels, Clerk to the Bishop’s Committee

 

 

 

 

Bishop's Committee Minutes, March 12, 2019

Bishop’s Committee Meeting

St. Benedict Episcopal Church

Present:  Paul Seabert, Vicar’s Warden; Gretchen O’Connor, People’s Warden, BC Members Mary-Michael Garlichs, Gen Gordon, Doretha Mowrey, Ralph Provencal, Mary Raines, and Jeff Zahir; Fran Frodsham, Co-Treasurer; Spencer Daniels, Clerk to the BC.  Absent: Fr. Ed Lovelady, Vicar (ill), and BC Member Bob Knudson.  The meeting was opened in prayer at 6:40 p.m.

Minutes:  M/S/P to approve the minutes of the January 8. 2019. BC meeting as written.

Treasurer’s Report:  We are ahead of the budget by $6,495 to date.  There is over $83,000 in the checking account, and over $25,000 in the money market fund.  Fran suggested moving $10,000 from the money market fund to the New Beginnings diocesan investment fund (DIF).  The BC will consider this next meeting.

Vicar’s Report:  Fr. Ed’s written report noted slow but steady growth in attendance.  There was a good attendance at the Safeguarding God’s Children presentation.  All materials for the parish status have been submitted and we are just waiting for further direction from the diocese.

Building and Grounds:  Responsibility for building and grounds has returned to Paul, who still needs relief.  A couple more items from the facility maintenance plan have been completed.  The ADA door opener is awaiting the locksmith, who has been very busy.

Finance Committee Charter:  The BC discussed the draft finance committee charter.  Fran suggested a change from “periodic” to “monthly” in the passage about ensuring that complete records are maintained and monitored.  She also suggested that the committee designate one member to do reconciliation, rather than having the whole committee involved.  Consideration of the charter was tabled to the next meeting when Fr. Ed could be present.

Columbarium Use Policy:  A question was raised as to the extent of “immediate family members.”  For example, do uncles qualify?  The BC will finalize at the next meeting.

BC Members as observers/liaisons with church ministries.  The BC noted those BC members who were listed in the agenda as being the observers to certain of the church ministries.  The reference in the agenda to “hospitality” should be correct to Doretha, with hospitality meaning the hospitality guilds.  Gretchen will be the liaison for the community dinner.  Additional BC members who volunteered at the meeting were: Mary—Food Bank; Mary—Saturday Sisters; Paul—Book Group; and Ralph—Building and Grounds.   It was suggested referring to the list of ministries that Fr. Ed distributed earlier to ensure that all ministries are covered.

There was no good of the order reports.  The meeting was adjourned in prayer at 7:45 p.m.  Following the meeting Paul led the new BC members on a tour of the church.

Respectfully submitted,

Spencer W. Daniels

Clerk to the Bishop’s Committee